The Secret World is a “Massively Multiplayer Online” game combined with “Alternate Reality Gaming” and social networking, currently in development at Funcom.
On May 8, 2007, Eurogamer.net received an email containing a cryptic image, and were told that the gaming community held the key to deciphering the mystery. A poem held the secret to a new game announcement:
The words provide the clues.
The letters points to three cities of Gaia.
The intricate web holds secrets to the dream of fallen earth.
A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
A MASKED CRY ADORING
A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON
Eurogamer readers made quick work of the piece and discovered the anagram “Dark Days Are Coming”, which lead to another puzzle at www.darkdaysarecoming.com. Art work was unveiled, and depending on the geographical location of visitors to the site, people were shown one of three cities: New York, London or Shanghai. In addition to images, those who solved the puzzles were also rewarded with a link to the Official TSW Forum.
A few days later, Funcom officially announced their upcoming game, “The Secret World”, with this press release.
“…a secret world within our world where every mystery, myth, conspiracy theory and urban legend is true.” The Secret World community is ripe with conspiracy theories.
Ragnar Tornquist announces The Secret World on his blog. Ragnar is the Game Director for TSW.
Funcom Quarterly Reports
Funcom referred to TSW as “The World Online”. At this time it listed the following information:
- Funcom created brand
- Contemporary setting
- Magic, myths, conspiracies and dark horrors
- Build on Funcom’s DreamWorld technology
- PC and Xbox 360 platforms
- Game in early production phase
- Team of 21
- Working on developing first playfields and combat prototyping
- 4 playfields well under way
- Parts of team assisting with Age of Conan
- Up to 40 person team.
The Secret World – Status
- 4 playfields close to complete.
- 4-5 playfields in development.
- Large asset library developed.
- Implementing RPG and combat system.
- 70 people working on project.
- PR and community building commencing early 2009.
The Secret World – Backgrounds
- Funcom created brand.
- Explore a secret world within our world where every mystery, myth, conspiracy theory and urban legend is true.
- MMO gaming combined with Alternate Reality Gaming and social networking.
- Funcom’s proprietary DreamWorld tech.
- PC and Xbox 360 platforms.
Links of Interest